Re: Documentation files in html format?

On 08/10/2007 12:27 AM, Francois Romieu wrote:

Andi Kleen <[email protected]> :
[...]

I don't think that is used by Linuxdoc. Try a make pdfdocs and see for
yourself.

It reminds me of an old PII but it does not really make clear how html to
pdf conversion would improve the situation.

With HTML the source format is itself the preferred object format for many purposes (something which I assume you wouldn't want to claim of DocBook source) meaning that for those uses there is no conversion.

Which given the number of times "make *docs" has bombed out on me through the years I find a definite improvement. Add in that it's much easier to produce HTML, that it covers most all formatting needs something like the kernel documentation directory needs, integrates unchanged, directly and nicely into the effort Rob Landley is doing with collecting documentation online and is a format you can read with a program most users have open and available 100% of the time rather than requiring a complete stack of semi-obscure external software -- and I just don't see why anyone would want to argue that DocBook and its associated crapola should _not_ be buried in that same dark, desolate place where other abortive attempts at improvement such as GNU info already reside.

Rene.