Re: [ck] Re: Linus 2.6.23-rc1 -- It does not matter who's code gets merged!

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 16:03 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > [...]
> > It does not matter [whose] code gets merged.
> > What matters is that the problem gets solved and that the Linux kernel
> > innovates forward.
> > [...]
>
> This attitude has risks over the long term, if outsiders with fresh
> ideas are discouraged.  Risking becoming known to defer too much to
> established maintainers, those fresh ideas may stop coming to linux.

My concern is that only "get my line of code merged" is seen as "the
ultimate thing". It's more than that. Linux is about collaboration,
where it matters more that people work together to solve a problem, far
far more than who actually types the lines in on the keyboard. Working
on the problem should be seen (and recognized) as the right thing. Who
writes the code is secundary to that.

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org