Re: NETPOLL=y , NETDEVICES=n compile error ( Re: 2.6.23-rc1-mm1 )

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 09:02:19PM -0500, Matt Mackall wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 11:59:21AM +0200, Jarek Poplawski wrote:

> > seems to select NET_POLL_CONTROLLER after selecting NETPOLL, but
> > still doesn't check for NETDEVICES dependency.
>
> That's odd. Adding Sam to the cc:.

Looks right, but after reading Andrew's opinion about select I'd be
astonished if he doesn't know this problem already.

> > > NET_POLL_CONTROLLER has def_bool NETPOLL if NETDEVICES .
> > >
> > > Net peoples ping ?:)
>
> How about cc:ing the netpoll maintainer?

Is there a new one or do you suggest possibility of abusing the
authority of the netpoll's author with such trifles...?!

BTW, I can't find any official meaning of def_bool, but it's name
suggests only default value, so logically it should be not enough
to assure NET_POLL_CONTROLLER=y, and netpoll should use "depends",
"require" or "select" (IMHO more readable too), but on the other
hand this could be practially wrong...

> > OK, I wasn't right here: there is no visible reason for both in the
> > kernel code, but I can imagine there could be some external users of
> > NET_POLL_CONTROLLER without NETPOLL.
>
> I don't know of any. As far as I can tell at this point,
> NET_POLL_CONTROLLER == NETPOLL.

There are some notions about "other diagnostic tools" in some
net drivers, eg. 3c509.c, so there would be a little bit of
work if, after changing this, they really exist (and even if
not - maybe it's reasonable to save such possibility for the
future?).

Best regards,
Jarek P.