Re: NETPOLL=y , NETDEVICES=n compile error ( Re: 2.6.23-rc1-mm1 )

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 05:05:00PM +0200, Gabriel C wrote:
> Jarek Poplawski wrote:

> >> Well it does if NETDEVICES && if NET_ETHERNET which booth are N when !NETDEVICES is why KGDBOE uses select and not depends on.
> >
> > "does if XXX" means may "use if XXX".
>
> From what I know means only use "if xxx" on !xxx everything inside the "if xxx" is n and "depends on <something inside the if xxx>
> does not work.

> menuconfig FOO
> 	bool "FOO"
> 	depends on BAR
> 	default y
> 	-- help --
> 	something
> if FOO
>
> config BAZ
> 	depends on WHATEVR && !NOT_THIS
>
> menuconfig SOMETHING_ELSE
> if SOMETHING_ELSE
>
> config BLUBB
> 	depends on PCI && WHATNOT
>
> endif # SOMETHING_ELSE
>
> config NETPOLL
>         def_bool NETCONSOLE
>
> config NETPOLL_TRAP
>         bool "Netpoll traffic trapping"
>         default n
>         depends on NETPOLL
>
> config NET_POLL_CONTROLLER
>         def_bool NETPOLL
>
> endif # FOO
>
> Now if you set FOO=n all is gone and your driver have to select whatever it needs from there.

Probably not exactly so...

>From drivers/net/Kconfig:

> # All the following symbols are dependent on NETDEVICES - do not repeat
> # that for each of the symbols.
> if NETDEVICES

So, according to this netpoll could presume NETDEVICES and
NET_POLL_CONTROLLER are always on.

But, as you've found, it's possible to select NETPOLL and !NETDEVICES,
so this comment is at least not precise.

On the other side something like this:

endif # NETDEVICES

config NETPOLL
        depends on NETDEVICES
        def_bool NETCONSOLE

config NETPOLL_TRAP
        bool "Netpoll traffic trapping"
        default n
        depends on NETPOLL

config NET_POLL_CONTROLLER
        def_bool NETPOLL
        depends on NETPOLL

seems to select NET_POLL_CONTROLLER after selecting NETPOLL, but
still doesn't check for NETDEVICES dependency.

> >> Now KGDBOE just selects NETPOLL and NETPOLL_TRAP.
> >> Adding 'select CONFIG_NET_POLL_CONTROLLER' let kgdboe compiles but the question is does it work without any ethernet card ?
> >
> > Why kgdboe should care what netpoll needs? So, I hope, you are adding
> > this select under config NETPOLL. On the other hand, if NETPOLL should
> > depend on NET_POLL_CONTROLLER there is probably no reason to have them
> > both.
>
> NET_POLL_CONTROLLER has def_bool NETPOLL if NETDEVICES .
>
> Net peoples ping ?:)

OK, I wasn't right here: there is no visible reason for both in the
kernel code, but I can imagine there could be some external users of
NET_POLL_CONTROLLER without NETPOLL.

> > The "does it work" question isn't logical issue, so it's irrelevant
> > here...
>
> Right irrelevant for the compile error but relevant for the fix in my opinion.

This was kind of joking, but since some people prefer things to work,
and it's hard to do this right (logical) way, some strange (unlogical)
measures have to be done like repeating dependencies here.

Regards,
Jarek P.