Re: CFS review

* Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
> > Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > thanks. Just to make sure, while you said that your TSC was off on that
> > > laptop, the bootup log of yours suggests a working TSC:
> > >
> > >   Time: tsc clocksource has been installed.
> >
> > Standard kernels often disable the TSC later after running a bit
> > with it (e.g. on any cpufreq change without p state invariant TSC)
>
> I assume that what Roman hit was that he had explicitly disabled the
> TSC because of TSC instability with the "notsc" kernel command line.
> Which disabled is *entirely*.

but that does not appear to be the case, the debug info i got from Roman
includes the following boot options:

  Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.23-rc1-git9 ro root=306

there's no "notsc" option there.

Andi's theory cannot be true either, Roman's debug info also shows this
/proc/<PID>/sched data:

  clock-delta              :                  95

that means that sched_clock() is in high-res mode, the TSC is alive and
kicking and a sched_clock() call took 95 nanoseconds.

Roman, could you please help us with this mystery?

	Ingo