THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED seems regressive

When updating this IBM ThinkPad T43p from 2.6.22 to 2.6.23-rc1
using make oldconfig, the text and default Y of

config THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED
	bool "Enable input layer support by default"
	depends on THINKPAD_ACPI
	default y
	---help---
	  Enables hot key handling over the input layer by default.  If unset,
	  the driver does not enable any hot key handling by default, and also
	  starts up with a mostly empty keymap.

	  If you are not sure, say Y here.  Say N to retain the deprecated
	  behavior of ibm-acpi, and thinkpad-acpi for kernels up to 2.6.21.

made it sound like a good thing, so I configured it Y.  But its only
effect seems to be to disable the key I use most, Fn+F4 to suspend to
RAM.  It also disables Fn+F3 to blank the screen, though I don't use
that one; but does not disable the brightness and ThinkLight keys,
presumably because they just get mapped to KEY_RESERVED.

The same remains true with latest kernel git.  Perhaps there's some
other config option without which this option is useless, which I
don't have set?  My .config for latest git attached.

I get along fine now with THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED disabled; but
suggest that its text is misleading, and default Y questionable.
Or perhaps there's a bug, and I can help try patches.

Thanks,
Hugh