Re: request for patches: showing mount options

Miklos Szeredi wrote:
After a successful mount, the NFS mount command tucks some options into /etc/mtab that reflect which mountd was used for the mount, and what protocol version and port was used for the mount request. Those options are not passed to the kernel, and do not appear in /proc/mounts today. See nfs(5)'s discussion of the mountport, mounthost, mountprog, and mountvers options.

However, the trend for NFS is to push mount option parsing into the kernel. Thus all options will be passed to the kernel, and at that point it should be able to reflect the mount* options in /proc/mounts. But it doesn't do that quite yet.
Trond, do you have a roadmap for this?
Well I'm actually doing the coding, and Trond is playing more of an architectural role.

OK, what your estimage for this then?

I don't have an estimate. This is all very slippery because once I get into a part of the code, we discover a lot of issues that we didn't expect. The NFS mount stuff is largely historical; we've all forgotten (or never really knew) how it works.

It would be nice to have all this stuff in 2.6.24, which doesn't leave
a lot of time.

Yes, that would be nice, but there's a lot of stuff that needs to get done before this. NFS IPv6, for example, is a higher priority than refactoring to remove /etc/mtab -- the US government has a new requirement in 2008 for IPv6 support in any software that it purchases, and NFS may be a stumbling block for distributors if it doesn't have it.

So I'd say "no way" for 2.6.24, but it's really Trond's call to make.

But if it's just those four options you mentioned, it should be
managable.  I do not think there needs to be some generic code to
hande userspace-only options, it would be perfectly fine just to
parse, store and show them like all the other options.

Like you, I don't expect it will be difficult to implement, but I have too many balls in the air to make any promises at the moment. Plus, we can't really predict when distributors will feel the in-kernel mount parsing stuff will be ready for their users.
begin:vcard
fn:Chuck Lever
n:Lever;Chuck
org:Oracle Corporation;Corporate Architecture: Linux Projects Group
adr:;;1015 Granger Avenue;Ann Arbor;MI;48104;USA
title:Principal Member of Staff
tel;work:+1 248 614 5091
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://oss.oracle.com/~cel