Re: forcedeth ?

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Kay Sievers wrote:

On 7/31/07, Sasa Ostrouska <[email protected]> wrote:
On 7/31/07, Gabriel C <[email protected]> wrote:
Sasa Ostrouska wrote:
On 7/30/07, Avuton Olrich <[email protected]> wrote:
On 7/30/07, Sasa Ostrouska <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi people,

I'm using this on a x86-64 amd machine. During boot of the last
2.6.22.1 kernel I get this error:
Somewhat unrelated, but I had a similar forcedeth problem, I took the
latest git forcedeth.c and put it into 2.6.22.1 and it worked for me.

Good luck!
--
avuton

Ok, maybe I can try that. In any case I noticed another strange thing.
I have 2 nics in that machine.
One is a nvidia MPC61 using the forcedeth.c the other one is a Realtec
RTL8029 using the
ne2k_pci.
Now, whenever I compile them both as modules each reboot the cards get
inversed eth assignement. Suppose first boot, the forcedeth is eth0 ,
the next boot it is eth1 , this is very anoying as one cant make only
one boot, probably this is someway related to the bios.
Now I configured them one in the kernel and the other as a module so
they get each time assigned the same name. But when powerloss happens
(unplug the cable) the next boot they do not work. I see them assigned
the correct name, ifconfig shows the IP's but ping results in a
destination unreachable.

Any ideas ?

Udev rules ?

Gabriel, hmm, shouldnt udev be able to autoconfigure that ? But I need
to check that, thx for the tip.

Udev does that already, it automatically creates rules and assigns
persistent names to newly discovered network hardware. The names will
be stable across reboots, regardless of module loading order or
anything else. But sure, that's only on distros who take these issues
serious. :)

what do I need to do to disable this 'feature' having a box with interfaces eth0, eth9, eth10 becouse the box once had a couple of quad cards in it is annoying.

David Lang