Re: RFT: updatedb "morning after" problem [was: Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23]

On 07/29/2007 06:04 PM, Ray Lee wrote:

I am very aware of the costs of seeks (on current magnetic media).

Then perhaps you can just take it on faith -- log structured layouts
are designed to help minimize seeks, read and write.

I am particularly bad at faith. Let's take that stupid program that I posted:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/7/25/85

You push it out before you hit enter, it's written out to swap, at whatever speed. How should it be layed out so that it's swapped in most efficiently after hitting enter? Reading bigger chunks would quite obviously help, but the layout?

The program is not a real-world issue and if you do not consider it a useful boundary condition either (okay I guess), how would log structured swap help if I just assume I have plenty of free swap to begin with?

Rene.