Re: [linux-pm] Power Management framework proposal

Hi!

> > let me give you a real world example then, and the numbers I'm using are
> > ballpark the same as you'll find in a (mobile) core 2 duo datasheet, I
> > just rounded them a little so that the math works out nice.
> >
> > power at full speed: 34W
> > power at half speed: 24W
> > power at idle: 1W
>
> I have usually seen different numbers, for example:
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf

Trust Arjan, modern cpus work as he describes.

> Although this paper speaks about thermal design power instead of power
> consumption, i suppose that it should be roughly equal.
>
> For example Athlon 64 3700 (ADA3700AEP5AR):
>
> 2.4 GHz, 1.5 V -> 89 W
> 2.2 GHz, 1.4 V -> 72 W
> 2.0 GHz, 1.3 V -> 53 W
> 1.8 GHz, 1.2 V -> 39 W
> 1.0 GHz, 1.1 V -> 22 W

I guess that means athlon 64 is 'old'.

> Even my measurement on PC (Athlon X2, VIA K8T890) of complete PC power
> consumption shows that it is more efficient to be busy for 2 time units
> on 1 GHz than be busy for 1 time unit and be idle for 1 time unit
> on 2 GHz.
>
> 1 GHz:
> both cores idle:	48 W
> one core busy:		57 W
> two cores busy:		66 W

2 sec decoding video at both cores: 132J

> 2 GHz:
> both cores idle:	54 W
> one core busy:		78 W
> two cores busy:		95 W

1 sec decode @ 2GHz + 1 sec idle @ 1GHz: 143J

So even on your hw difference is not too big... and take a look at
numbers from core2duo.

Actually...

4 sec decode @ 1 core @ 1GHz: 57*4=228J
1 sec decode @ 2 cores @ 2GHz, then idle: 95 + 48*3 = 142+95 = 235J...

Ok, so it is still 	 win, but even smaller one..
							Pavel