Re: serial flow control appears broken

Alan Cox wrote:

The manufacturer is using a scope to look for RTS and they're not seeing it, either. I just use my eyes to look at the LED, but I can see the CTS, DTR, DCD, RD, and TD lights blink, flicker, or dim... (and TD, RD, and CTS tend to go on and off rather quickly).

And you have

1.	The port set up correctly for flow control options in the
kernel ?

I suppose that you mean that the application has properly set up the port using termios/tcsetattr/ioctl and the like... rather than if the kernel build/config options were set to permit flow control (I know of no relevant flow-control-enabling kernel build options). Using hardware flow control this is what stty tells me about the port set up done by the application:

# stty -F /dev/ttyS1 -a
speed 115200 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>; eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O;
min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread clocal crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel -opost -olcuc -ocrnl -onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0 -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt -echoctl -echoke
#

Using software flow control this is what stty tells me about the port set up done by the application:

# stty -F /dev/ttyS1 -a
speed 115200 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>; eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O;
min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl ixon ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel -opost -olcuc -ocrnl -onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0 -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt -echoctl -echoke
#

They seem correct to me, but I am certainly willing to be wrong.

2.	Verified that the board vendor remembered to wire it ?

I don't know how to verify directly that the board manufacturer wired the serial port correctly. I've tested this on two different motherboards made several years apart (but, yes, both were made by the same manufacturer). However, when using RedHat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5) I have no problems with data corruption occurring in the data coming from the DCE. So that tells me that *something* was working before that isn't working now... and I'm trying to determine what the difference is... whether it be a problem in modern kernels or whether it be something that the application (HylaFAX) is not doing to accomodate whatever changes occurred in modern kernels.

A quick google on "input overrun(s)" may lend some credence (although, certainly this is not in any way conclusive) that I'm not the only one who may be seeking a solution on this matter.

 http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2B%22input+overrun%28s%29%22

Thanks,

Lee.