Re: [ck] Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

On 7/25/07, Matthew Hawkins <[email protected]> wrote:
On 7/26/07, Ray Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'd just like updatedb to amortize its work better. If we had some way
> to track all filesystem events, updatedb could keep a live and
> accurate index on the filesystem. And this isn't just updatedb that
> wants that, beagle and tracker et al also want to know filesystem
> events so that they can index the documents themselves as well as the
> metadata. And if they do it live, that spreads the cost out, including
> the VM pressure.

We already have this, its called inotify (and if I'm not mistaken,
beagle already uses it).

Yeah, I know about inotify, but it doesn't scale.

ray@phoenix:~$ find ~ -type d | wc -l
17933
ray@phoenix:~$

That's not fun with inotify, and that's just my home directory. The
vast majority of those are quiet the vast majority of the time, which
is the crux of the problem, and why inotify isn't a great fit for
on-demand virus scanners or indexers.

Ray