Re: [ck] Re: howto get a patch merged (WAS: Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23)

On 7/25/07, Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:

* Kacper Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:

> [snip howto get a patch merged]

> > But a "here is a solution, take it or leave it" approach, before
> > having communicated the problem to the maintainer and before having
> > debugged the problem is the wrong way around. It might still work
> > out fine if the solution is correct (especially if the patch is
> > small and obvious), but if there are any non-trivial tradeoffs
> > involved, or if nontrivial amount of code is involved, you might see
> > your patch at the end of a really long (and constantly growing)
> > waiting list of patches.
>
> Is that what happened with swap prefetch these two years? The approach
> has been wrong?

i dont know - but one of the maintainers of the code (Nick) says that he
asked for but did not get debug feedback:

Perhaps this is unimportant now, I don't know, but who did he ask?
Where did he ask? Where should the feedback have gone? (For example,
is he subscribed to -ck?) To be perfectly honest, I find this very
surprising, considering the number of people that appear to be
supporting this patch. I can only wonder whether it's possible this
request never got to any of them.

--
Michael Chang

Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments. Send me ODT,
RTF, or HTML instead.
Thank you.