Re: Keyboard programming needs root

Daniël Mantione <[email protected]> wrote:
> Op Thu, 19 Jul 2007, schreef Dmitry Torokhov:
>> On 7/14/07, Daniel Mantione <[email protected]> wrote:

> To make this discussion productive, I want to work towards a solution. I
> don't mind how I can make the keyboard work as it should, I just want it
> work. Think of the needs of a user interface, you walk through controls
> using tab and shift+tab, put common commands under the function keys and
> shift/control/alt combinations. Cursor control in an editor is done with
> the navigation pad on your keyboard: arrows, home/end/pgup/pgdown, plus
> shift/control/alt combinations with them.
>
> That is all, nothing fancy. Could the kernel support a way to do this?

It could, but nobody had the idea of combining a cooked mode and a raw mode
like DOS provides. OK, DOS did not do a good job, you had to peek the shift
status separately, but you had the assigned character as well as the
(translated) scancode. IIRC, X11 does the same, but with the scancodes
(and the mouse coordinates?) included.
--
Friß, Spammer: [email protected] [email protected]
 [email protected] [email protected]