Re: Documentation of kernel messages (Summary)

On Monday 16 July 2007 9:17:28 pm H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Tim Bird wrote:
> > Oooh!  That's nice!  I didn't notice the "nicely split up" part earlier.
> > Any chance we can get the original docbook inputs that OLS uses
> > for paper submissions?  Have you asked Andrew or Craig about this?
>
> OLS uses LaTeX, not DocBook, for submissions AFAIK.

Yeah, but their retention of the original latex has been...  Iffy.  And their
indexing was a bit rushed.  http://www.linuxsymposium.org/proceedings.php
goes up to 2005.  If you go to
http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2006/proceedings.php you'll see a mirror of the
other page with 2006 added (why not update the top level one?  No idea.)
Then 2007 is off on a Red Hat site (mis-numbered) and not even hosted on
linuxsymposium.org.

If you look at http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2006/slides/ you'll notice I mirrored
all the presentation slides (not the same as the papers).  Two of them had
already gone down before I got there, but I managed to get a fresh copy of
Steven Hill's uClibc NPTL slides when I bumped into him at OLS.  (My mirror
has it, the original site it links to is 404.)  I still haven't tracked down
Kristen Accardi's slides, and that's one that was theoretically mirrored on
the OLS website itself, yet the link is 404...

I'm not complaining, by the way: busy people get the data out and then move
on, it's up to people like me to go back and clean it up if you want any kind
of data retention.  (And THEN you have to periodically figure out what's
still relevant and what's only of historical interest.  Wheee...)

Right now, I'd be happy to just get the PDFs of 2001 and earlier.  There's a
apparently one year they only have on paper, and one of the others is on a CD
that Andrew thinks he knows where it is, but hadn't had time to dig up when
last I poked him...

If latex shows up, I'm all for it.  But for now, I'm happy with the PDFs.
(Hey Tim, you want something for a volunteer to do?  Index the 2006 papers,
then match up the 2006 slides with the corresponding papers.  I can go
through and add in summaries afterwards...  And note that the index.html
should have _relative_ links, not absolute ones, because I want anyone to be
able to tarball up the whole site and locally mirror it.  I need to do a big
script that fetches the external things like the ols papers and breaks them
up so you have reproducible local copies without blindly copying mine.  It's
on my todo list...)

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.