Re: Documentation of kernel messages (Summary)

On Monday 16 July 2007 8:31:52 pm Tim Bird wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > If you go to http://kernel.org/doc/ols you should find, nicely split up,
> > all the OLS papers from 2002-2007.
>
> Oooh!  That's nice!  I didn't notice the "nicely split up" part earlier.
> Any chance we can get the original docbook inputs that OLS uses
> for paper submissions?  Have you asked Andrew or Craig about this?

I've asked, but OLS was in the process of happening and they were kind of
swamped...

> Also, it would be nice to correlate the talk names with the individual
> PDFs.

I'm working on that: http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2002

I keep getting distracted by new material coming in.  Need to shut it out for
a bit and focus on processing the existing pile...

> Do you want me to solicit inside CELF for a volunteer for this?

Yes please.  I'm happy to have volunteers help out with any of this, if I can
figure out how to sanely partition it.

I'm not just collating names with papers, I'm also reading the paper and
trying to come up with a one page summary.  If you look at
http://kernel.org/doc you'll see a (now stale) version of an index skeleton.
I'd like to link to all these papers from one big index.  And also link the
Documentation files into the same index.  And http://lwn.net/Kernel/Index/
and Linux Journal's archives and...

That's the hard part.  Indexing it.  Piling up a big heap is easy.

You'll notice that Documentation has its own 00-index file, which doesn't even
refer to the make htmldocs output.  The lwn kernel material has an excellent
index.  The Linux Journal articles have a chronological archive.  Every
volume of OLS papers starts with a brief index.

And the problem is, every time somebody notices the problem they start a _new_
index that doesn't use any of the others.  (And they keep wanting to do it as
a wiki, which dooms the project.  In my experience wikis aren't stable and
only locally versioned.  They're not designed to be snapshotted as a coherent
whole, which is the _point_ of an index.  If you deep-link into a wiki you
get 404 errors after a while.  They're a good tool for the "piling up
information" part, but a bad tool for editorial jobs like organizing and
indexing existing information.  Wikis are designed to be decentralized, so
the left hand doesn't have to know what the right hand is doing, but
editorial functions is all about collating, coordinating, and correlating
into a coherent whole.  Which is nontrivial.)

> We'd probably produce a wiki page of links, based on your
> list.txt file and the proceedings index.

I have a list.txt file?  (Rummages.)  Oh, that's actually extracted from Red
Hat's 2007 OLS web page (see the link at top, "mirrored from here".)

I was using Red hat's broken-up pages (and pre-broken-up ones I found for
2004) for a while, but I went back and I re-broke up the pages with my
scripts (which you'll notice I link to; I want people other than me to be
able to reproduce this.)  I did it because all the others I broke up have the
two OLS boilerplate pages at the _end_ rather than the beginning, and I
wanted to be consistent.

And that list.txt page doesn't have the paragraph per article summary (which I
can sometimes take from the abstract, but even when there is an abstract it's
often not what I need and I read the darn paper anyway to see what
interesting stuff's buried in it).  I need that in order to index the
articles, title isn't enough.  Some articles need to get linked from more
than one place.  (James Bottomley's 2002 scsi paper has good "history of
hotplug" material, for example.)

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.