Re: Linux 2.6.22 released

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Martin Orr wrote:

> I have done this.  The file is arch/x86_64/kernel/signal.c: if I compile
> this with gcc 20070627 then everything works, if I compile it with gcc
> 20070707 then udevsettle hangs.  This is independent of the gcc version used
> to compile the rest of the kernel.  (The dates refer to versions of the
> Debian gcc-4.2 package and its dependencies.)

Can you do

	make arch/x86_64/kernel/signal.s

with both compilers, and post the results somewhere? It's probably going
to be so large, and have so many trivial differences (register allocation
etc) that it will be hard-to-impossible to see the problem, but at least
we can *try* to see if it might be obvious enough from comparing the
assembly..

(Register allocation differences make comparisons like that really hard,
but if the two compiler versions are close enough, they *might* end up
having sufficiently similar register allocation that the stupid
differences don't hide all the real differences).

			Linus