Re: containers (was Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23)

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 04:10 -0700, Paul Jackson wrote:
> Srivatsa wrote:
> > So Ingo was proposing we use cpuset as that user interface to manage
> > task-groups. This will be only for 2.6.23.
>
> Good explanation - thanks.
>
> In short, the proposal was to use the task partition defined by cpusets
> to define CFS task-groups, until the real process containers are
> available.
>
> Or, I see in the next message, Ingo responding favorably to your
> alternative, using task uid's to partition the tasks into CFS
> task-groups.
>
> Yeah, Ingo's preference for using uid's (or gid's ??) sounds right to
> me - a sustainable API.
>
> Wouldn't want to be adding a cpuset API for a single 2.6.N release.
>
> .... gid's -- why not?

Or process or process groups, or all of the above :-)

One thing to think on though, we cannot have per process,uid,gid,pgrp
scheduling for one release only. So we'd have to manage interaction with
process containers. It might be that a simple weight multiplication
scheme is good enough:

  weight = uid_weight * pgrp_weight * container_weight

Of course, if we'd only have a single level group scheduler (as was
proposed IIRC) it'd have to create intersection sets (as there might be
non trivial overlaps) based on these various weights and schedule these
resulting sets instead of the initial groupings.