Re: understanding firmware loader for speedtouch (kernel 2.6.21.5)

2007/7/10, mikie <[email protected]>:
2007/7/10, Duncan Sands <[email protected]>:

> > > I'm pretty sure you won't get anything faster out of a revision 2 modem.
> >
> > Too bad to hear that :/
> > Especially that windows does this with the same modem without a hitch.
>
> Really?  In that case I take it back, the hardware can clearly do it :)  Presumably
> you are using the firmware that came with windows?  Which kernel version?  Also, what
> synchronization speed is reported?

Yes, the hardware in the modem can do it for sure. I have a laptop
with a pentium4 CPU, USB2.0, windows XP installed. I attach the same
modem to this laptop and I can go up to 730..740 kbyte/s (the same
phone line of course). Windows XP had to be modified with a registry
tweak (from thomson website) to switch to isochronous mode and it
works.

However my server running linux is on a ECS motherboard (P6BAP as I
remember), Celeron 633 CPU, USB1.1. I have compiled quite fresh kernel
2.6.21.5

I am 100% sure that I use the same firmware for the modem, because I
copied it directly from windows XP from laptop.
Now since the modem itself can go as fast as 6mbit/s, I am only
concerned if the _computer_ hardware on my linux server box can do it
via USB ? I can see the usb reporting it to be at 12Mbit/s, which
should be enough to reach 6mbit/s teoretically. CPU load is normal
even during transfers.
I would have to install windows xp on that machine to be 100% sure
that both modem and computer hardware can go up to 6mbit/s via USB...

By the way, I just tried to switch sw_buffering in the speedtch module
but that did not help.

I begin to think that the isochronous mode is not working. I tried the
speedtch module with disabled and enabled isoc and there is no
difference in transfer speeds at all.

All I checked was :
root@srv:~# cat /sys/module/speedtch/parameters/enable_isoc

which as I now believe only means what options have been specified,
but does not confirm the actual mode being in use.
Especially that I do not see anything like "isoc support enabled" in
any of the logs.

Are there any requirements for UHCI hardware to support isoc mode  ?
Mine is:
USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 08) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])

Or maybe I am missing something else? I am sure the isoc mode is
supported by my modem, now I only have doubts if my hardware on server
box supports this ?

--
Regards,
MK