Re: [2.6 patch] the overdue eepro100 removal

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 12:01:56PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Please do not make unnecessary kernel changes which require changes in our systems.

If you think the e100 driver fixes your problems use it and be happy. But since you don't have to test system behavior with the new driver, and you won't be called at night or on weekends if it doesn't work, do the rest of the world a favor and stop taking out things we know to work! Leaving in the eepro100 causes no work for you, and even if e100 works perfectly it needs to be validated in any sane network. it still makes work.

The goal is to get e100 better, and removing eepro100 helps with reaching this goal.

That's *your* goal, it should not be a shock that users have a goal of using their systems without having to reconfigure them every time there's a kernel upgrade containing a security fix.
Why didn't _you_ try the e100 driver when you validated your systems after you upgraded them to kernel 2.6, and if you did and it didn't work, where is your bug report?
Is that a joke, or subtle irony? Do you generally validate drivers you don't use just because your hardware might be able to support them? I don't validate various accelerated video drivers on systems running mostly text console, never check sound options on systems with an audio application, etc. After I tried the e100 driver on the first few systems and found issues (which may be resolved by now) I went back to eepro100 and used what worked. And used the driver for any new systems in other installs.

If there were any benefit to removing a working driver I would at least be able to see it as a resources issue, but as far as I can see you just seem to have a personal preference for the e100 driver and want to force others to use it because you are so much better able to decide what users need than the system administrators. That's one of the reasons people choose open source, because they have a choice, and can use what's best for them.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc