Re: Please release a stable kernel Linux 3.0

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 12:08:12PM -0400, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> On 06/27/2007 11:52 AM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >> Al, be reasonable.  There are many out-of-tree GPL modules that won't be
> >> accepted into mainline, never mind those that shouldn't be accepted.  But
> >> these modules do have a right to not be obsoleted by constant API changes.
> >
> > "have a right" are strong words.
> > Who is granting them this right?
> >
> >> You are effectively inhibiting the development of an out-of-tree GPL module
> >> pool, by constantly pulling the rug under that community.
> >>
> >> Do you think this is fair?
> >
> > Why are these modules not submitted for inclusion into the kernel?
> >

> I was trying to figure that out for this one:
>
> http://code.ximeta.com/trac-ndas
>
> No mention of ever trying to get this upstream AFAICT... but this is
> interesting:
>
>   The linux market is limited comparing that of MS Windows.
>   it is very hard for us to support the various linux distros.
>   we, Ximeta, are trying to support those requests as many as
>   we can, though the resources are very limited.

One of their module contains a 180 kB binary blob and
MODULE_LICENSE("Proprietary, Send bug reports to [email protected]").

And it calls tons of functions EXPORT_SYMBOL'ed by their other
3 modules that are MODULE_LICENSE("Dual BSD/GPL")...

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed