Re: Please release a stable kernel Linux 3.0

On 06/27/2007 11:52 AM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 04:53:58PM +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
>> Al Viro wrote:
>>> "Drop-in" in which sense?  That out-of-tree modules keep working?
>>> Not really...
>> Al, be reasonable.  There are many out-of-tree GPL modules that won't be
>> accepted into mainline, never mind those that shouldn't be accepted.  But
>> these modules do have a right to not be obsoleted by constant API changes.
>
> "have a right" are strong words.
> Who is granting them this right?
>
>> You are effectively inhibiting the development of an out-of-tree GPL module
>> pool, by constantly pulling the rug under that community.
>>
>> Do you think this is fair?
>
> Why are these modules not submitted for inclusion into the kernel?

I was trying to figure that out for this one:

http://code.ximeta.com/trac-ndas

No mention of ever trying to get this upstream AFAICT... but this is
interesting:

  The linux market is limited comparing that of MS Windows.
  it is very hard for us to support the various linux distros.
  we, Ximeta, are trying to support those requests as many as
  we can, though the resources are very limited.