Re: vm/fs meetup in september?

On Jun 26, 2007  12:35 +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Leaving my opinion of higher order pagecache aside, this _may_ be an
> example of something that doesn't need a lot of attention, because it
> should be fairly uncontroversial from a filesystem's POV? (eg. it is
> more a relevant item to memory management and possibly block layer).
> OTOH if it is discussed in the context of "large blocks in the buffer
> layer is crap because we can do it with higher order pagecache", then
> that might be interesting :)

FWIW, being able to have large (8-64kB) blocksize would be great for
ext2/3/4.  We'd sort of been betting on this by limiting the on-disk
extent format to 48-bit physical block numbers, and to have 2 patches
to implement this in as many weeks is excellent.

To me the mechanism doesn't matter, whether through fsblock or high-order
PAGE_SIZE.  I'll let the rest of you duke it out as long as at least one
of them makes it into the kernel.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger