Re: Patent or not patent a new idea

Neil Brown wrote:
On Tuesday June 26, [email protected] wrote:
Posting it here seems the best thing to do.

To the inventor goes naming privilege and I'm calling this one softer raid.
It is a form of storage raid implemented in software, as contrasted to
software and hardware raid which are dependent on using required hardware.

To create a loop filesystem is straight forward. The commands are dd,
mkfs.*, mount -o loop. Basically what I propose is that the image file is
copied to another harddisk (in the case of ide not on the same cable) and
it too is mounted in conjunction of the original with cooperation. When a
read request for a block of say 100k is made, the kernel pulls 50k from
each disk - maybe a simple doubling of throughput.

Sounds a lot like "RAIF" - ask google for details.

I did not know about RAIF. RAIF "merges" separate filesystems? That is a
good idea in itself.

My idea is for driver that provides a filesystem from image files it
controls. Because it knows these resources it uses access in tandem to
attain performance.