Re: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?

I sent a patch to the ALSA developers 4 years ago.
It was never included in the kernel :/

ALSA maintainers are very open to patches. try sending this again

Here's the comment from a script that I once wrote to
make some closed-source dinosar code run (speech recognition)
on modern linux:

# Note that ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture), the sound drivers that
# replace the older OSS as of kernel 2.5, also introduce a problem for some
# soundcards: unlike the OSS drivers, the ALSA drivers limit the recording
# buffer to the hardware limit of your sound card.  For example, the SB Live!
# only has two 'period' buffers (called fragments before), and although
# viavoice requests an 'arbitrary number of periods, size 1024 bytes', it
# only gets two periods of 1024 bytes: 2048 bytes in total!  The ViaVoice
# engine however doesn't even process sound until it sees at least 6102 bytes.
# The 'solution' for this is to increase the buffer size (from 1024 to say
# 8192), this script also takes care of that.  Unfortunately, also that is
# possibly not enough: the sound is read from the hardware in chunks of
# 'period size' and having only two buffers this is often causing an underrun.
# When ALSA sees an underrun... it stops the sound stream.

native ALSA drivers has all these required features.

My (four year old) patch can be found here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/alsa/index.html

I STILL think that ALSA should restart the stream after an underrun,
but I am not someone who asks twice :p usually.

If it is native ALSA driver then it will restart after each underrun
and overrun. It is the applications job to do this, alsa-lib provides
all support for this. I have no idea of OSS and OSS emulation in ALSA.

If you have any queries please try sending to alsa-devel.