Re: Oops in a driver while using SLUB as a SLAB allocator

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>
> > Maybe this will address the issue on ARM?
>
> Looks like it would indeed address the immediate issue on ARM -
> IF they've no particular reason to be using kmalloc there.

I think the right thing to do is do both of these things. I already
applied Hugh's patch - it seemed like a total nobrainer to do at this
stage in the 2.6.22 -rc series. But that doesn't mean that we should not
_also_ look at "flush_dcache_page()" users.

I do think that even just the name (the ".._page()" part) makes it obvious
that it was designed for page-level allocations, not kmalloc(). So I think
Christoph's patch makes sense in that context.

At the same time, I do think that the whole notion of flushing the D$ is
certainly something that makes sense for kmalloc() allocations also, and
maybe people do actually do small DMA allocations and Christophs patch
would break that.

End result: for 2.6.22, I think the patch from Hugh that I already applied
is the right thing.

But as to 2.6.23 and onward.. I dunno.

		Linus