Re: [AppArmor 39/45] AppArmor: Profile loading and manipulation, pathname matching

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Joshua Brindle wrote:

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
 On 2007-06-21T16:59:54, Stephen Smalley <[email protected]> wrote:
 <snip>

>  Um, no.  It might not be able to directly open files via that path, but
>  showing that it can never read or write your mail is a rather different
>  matter.

 Yes. Your use case is different than mine.

So.. your use case is what? If an AA user asked you to protect his mail from his browser I'm sure you'd truthfully answer "no, we can't do that but we can protect the path to your mail from your browser".. I think not. One need only look at the wonderful marketing literature for AA to see what you are telling people it can do, and your above statement isn't consistent with that, sorry.

remember, the policies define a white-list

so if a hacker wants to have mozilla access the mail files he needs to get some other process on the sysstem to create a link or move a file to a path that mozilla does have access to. until that is done there is no way for mozilla to access the mail through the filesystem.

other programs could be run that would give mozilla access to the mail contents, but it would be through some other path that the policy permitted mozilla accessing in the first place.

David Lang