[email protected] wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

Subject: Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3

On Jun 20, 2007, Andrew McKay <[email protected]> wrote:

However, I don't see how this would ever require a company like Tivo
or Mastercard to have their networks play nice with a unit that has
been modified by the end user, potentially opening up some serious
security holes.

Which is why the GPLv3 doesn't make the requirement that you stated.

so if the BIOS checked the checksum of the boot image and if it found it wasn't correct would disable the video input hardware but let you boot the system otherwise it would be acceptable to you and the GPLv3?

somehow I doubt it, but that's what it would take to prevent modified software from interacting with their networks (remembering that these networks are the cable and satellite networks in some cases)

it also seems that if this was the case it would be a trivial work-around for the GPLv3 if it was acceptable.

That is exactly where I was going with that. A trivial work around in the Tivo case. I guess GPLv4 will have to close up that hole?

Andrew McKay