Re: [BUG] ide dma_timer_expiry, then hard lockup

Hello.

[email protected] wrote:
I think reading the IDE status register clears the interrupt in the IDE
device, which might be causing the drive to think it's OK to generate
another interrupt.

This is not how IDE drives are supposed to act -- they won't proceed any further until "interrupt pending" condition is cleared, so these aren't supposed to be "stacked". This behavior however is not strictly specified by ATA standards IIRC, but I can't readily imagine such situaltion anyway unless tagged command queueing (which is not supported by IDE core) and/or ATAPI command overlapping is in action...

 This could either cause it to get stuck trying to
service an interrupt that is never getting cleared as you suggested, or
possibly when the next IRQ comes in the IDE IRQ handler gets stuck
waiting for a spinlock that the code you're looking at already owns...?

I could also imagine the HPT366 chip going mad and stalling the reads if the taskfile regs forever because of the incomplete DMA or even the drive going mad and not replying to I/O cycles with proper -IORDY handshake (i.e. holding it low all the time)...

Perhaps a printk in the IDE IRQ handler would be informative?  It
wouldn't help you figure out how it got where it is, but it might help
you figure out why the system is hanging.

Stuart