Stable identification of identical USB hardware

Hello all,
I want to be able to distinguish between two (or more) mostly identical USB serial devices. The devices in question are UMTS modems. AFAIK they are identical except for the SIM card and the point of attachment. Externally the cards are CardBus devices with an integrated USB host adapter. The actual UMTS device is (internally) connected to the USB host adapter.

If I have to cardbus sockets, how do I get from what I know ("the card is in socket 0") to "I have to talk to ttyUSB2 to talk to the card"? I suspect I have to follow the thread from /sys/bus/pci to /sys/bus/usb/devices, but how exactly?

Thanks in advance and kind regards
  Joerg