> IANAL but I think a second, probably fictional but not unrealistic scenario. A
> Linux-based in-car entertainment system. I believe there are laws in certain
> countries that require the front screens to be off when the car is in motion
> to prevent the driver from being distracted.

Yes - and in others you must meet certain approvals.

> Assume that the hardware does not prevent the user from uploading modified
> software (with the restriction removed) and the user modified the system and
> then causes a crash with fatalities.

Then providing the modification was not utterly trivial, or the user was
warned, or it would have been obvious to the person making the mods that
it was a bad idea whoever made the mods will get pasted

> I imagine there are countries where a civil case could be brought against the
> manufacturer for failing to provide reasonable safeguards against disabling
> the safety feature.

Unlikely. Even in the stupidly litigious world of "Warning: Kitchen knife
is sharp" if you modify something you usually get the blame - some
exceptions being those where the mod is obvious, trivial and apparently
safe.

(oh and for the UK and I guess much of the rest of the EU if you fiddle
with a safety check and remove it and someone gets hurt you can face
criminal charges up to and including manslaughter)

Alan