On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:49:56 Anders Larsen wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 22:54:56 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > I don't know any law that requires tivoization.
>
> Not exactly laws, but pretty close:
>
> Credit-card payment terminals are subject to strict security
> certification, where it has to be ensured that

IANAL but I think a second, probably fictional but not unrealistic scenario. A
Linux-based in-car entertainment system. I believe there are laws in certain
countries that require the front screens to be off when the car is in motion
to prevent the driver from being distracted.

Assume that the hardware does not prevent the user from uploading modified
software (with the restriction removed) and the user modified the system and
then causes a crash with fatalities.

I imagine there are countries where a civil case could be brought against the
manufacturer for failing to provide reasonable safeguards against disabling
the safety feature.

Cheers,

Marek