Re: coding style

[Jan Engelhardt - Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 09:31:27PM +0200]

| On Jun 15 2007 12:21, Kok, Auke wrote:
| > Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
| >> [Jan Engelhardt - Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 09:10:49PM +0200]

| >> |
| >> |
| >> Jan, as I see from CodingStyle:
| >>
| >>  "Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8 characters."
| >>
| >> Actually it would be perfect to get strict rules also for math. and log.
| >> operators being splitted on several lines:
| >
| > this doesn't say anything about alignment, which was his point :)
|
| Well tabs should _never_ be assumed to be 8, and in this regard, as I
| see it, CodingStyle has a bug. Tabs are there so that the user can set
| their width according to _their_ taste, simply so that both sides,
|
| 	from CodingStyle:
| 	Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8
| 	characters.  There are heretic movements that try to make
| 	indentations 4 (or even 2!) characters deep, and that is akin
| 	to trying to define the value of PI to be 3.
|
| Linus (did he wrote that part?) and the heretics both can have their fun
| without impacting each other. If we wanted to force the user to have
| exactly 8 screen blanks, we should use spaces throughout.
|
| (And BTW,  int pi = 3.141592 _is_ going to be 3 ;-) and floating point
| is mostly an agreed no-go in kernel anyway, even if it's supported.)
|

| 	Jan
| --

Dunno who wrote that part :(. Jan, look:

	Now, some people will claim that having 8-character indentations makes
	the code move too far to the right, and makes it hard to read on a
	80-character terminal screen.  The answer to that is that if you need
	more than 3 levels of indentation, you're screwed anyway, and should fix
	your program.

your opinion? Is it a bug too? Don't get me wrong I'm just trying to clarify
coding style.

		Cyrill