Re: coding style

Willy Tarreau wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 10:48:36PM +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:
Hi to all,

a simple question the answer to witch I didn't find in CodingStyle.
Look for a code snip:

	err = foo(arg_a, arg_b, arg_c,
		arg_d);

the second line contains 'd' arg aligned with tabs only
but it could be rewritten with more elegant style (by adding
a few spaces) like this

	err = foo(arg_a, arg_b, arg_c,
		  arg_d);

so which one is preferred for the kernel?

There is no "preferred", just one good and one bad :-)

Ideally, you should use tabs only for indentation, and spaces only for
alignment. Keep in mind that there are people using different tab sizes
and that your tabs should not make it harder for them to read your code.
In your example above, you should use tabs from left up to "err", then
spaces to go from "err" to "arg_d".

However, we know that some editors such as emacs are stupid in this regard,
because they fill with tabs then complete with spaces, so it's not always
easy.

the current "checkpatch.pl" script rejects this notion and requires that you use tabs whenever you can (you can still align code within the length of one tab).

Since in the example part (2) above there are 9 spaces needed to go from err to arg_d, it complains if you had used 9 spaces here. It only allows you to use tabs + n spaces (where n < 8)

I personally prefer spaces, but the checkpatch.pl script does not agree, much to my dismay :(

Auke