Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:
I have yet to see any actual *reasons* for licensing under the GPLv3, though.

Btw, if Sun really _is_ going to release OpenSolaris under GPLv3, that _may_ be a good reason. I don't think the GPLv3 is as good a license as v2, but on the other hand, I'm pragmatic, and if we can avoid having two kernels with two different licenses and the friction that causes, I at least see the _reason_ for GPLv3. As it is, I don't really see a reason at all.

I personally doubt it will happen, but hey, I didn't really expect them to open-source Java either(*), so it's not like I'm infallible in my predictions.

				Linus

(*) And I've been pushing for that since before they even released it - I walked out on Bill Joy at a private event where they discussed their horrible previous Java license.

Thanks for making things more clear :-) Some really strong indications that Sun is very willing to,at least, "Dual-License" the OpenSolaris with GPLv3. I think; in a very short time; we will see when the GPLv3 finalized and released.

Regards,

Tarkan