Re: [patch 7/8] fdmap v2 - implement sys_socket2

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Paul Mackerras wrote:

> Davide Libenzi writes:
>
> > The only reason we use a floating base, is because Uli preferred to have
> > non-exactly predictable fd allocations. There no reason of re-doing the
> > same POSIX mistake all over again:
>
> Why must everything that makes things a bit simpler and more
> predictable for application programmers be called a "mistake"?

Because if you give guarantees on something, ppl start using such
guarantee in the wrong way. Kyle's email summarizes it.
This should really be treated as an opaque handle, with no assumption on
its value. And if you start handing over values that are not predictable,
the userspace is *forced* to not use any assumption on its values. I never
made any assumption on values returned by APIs returning "handles", and I
never had any problem (or even care) about how those values were
distributed in the N bit space.

- Davide