Re: Case: 7454422: Re: Kernel 2.6.21.3 does not work with 8GB of RAM on Intel 965WH motherboards. (FULL DMESG)

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Robert Hancock wrote:

Parag Warudkar wrote:
Robert Hancock wrote:

0-3319MB
4096-8832MB

leaving 64MB of memory at the top of RAM uncached. What do you want to
bet that something important (kernel code?) is getting loaded there..

So essentially it's a BIOS problem, it's not setting up the MTRRs
properly in order to map all of RAM as cacheable. As Andi says, complain
to Intel.

Could the BADRAM patch be useful for him?
http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/download.html has 2.6.21 version.
It says it supports x86_64. May be using this patch he can exclude
that RAM from being used/accessed?

I think that mem=8832M would work as well, to make the kernel use only the memory that is marked cacheable. (It looks like this parameter takes the highest memory address we want the kernel to use, not the highest memory amount.)

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]

Is 8832MB a typo? 8GB of memory is ~8192MB right? Did you mean 8132MB or? Intel wants me to flash my bios and reset everything to the defaults to see if it is still an issue, I'd prefer to try the mem= option first.

Justin.