Re: Syslets, Threadlets, generic AIO support, v6

On Thu, 31 May 2007 08:13:03 +0200
Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:

> * Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > I agree. What would be a good interface to allocate fds in such
> > > area? We don't want to replicate syscalls, so maybe a special new
> > > dup function?
> >
> > I'd do it with something like "newfd = dup2(fd, NONLINEAR_FD)" or
> > similar, and just have NONLINEAR_FD be some magic value (for example,
> > make it be 0x40000000 - the bit that says "private, nonlinear" in the
> > first place).
> >
> > But what's gotten lost in the current discussion is that we probably
> > don't actually _need_ such a private space. I'm just saying that if
> > the *choice* is between memory-mapped interfaces and a private
> > fd-space, we should probably go for the latter. "Everything is a file"
> > is the UNIX way, after all. But there's little reason to introduce
> > private fd's otherwise.
>
> it's both a flexibility and a speedup thing as well:
>
> flexibility: for libraries to be able to open files and keep them open
> comes up regularly. For example currently glibc is quite wasteful in a
> number of common networking related functions (Ulrich, please correct me
> if i'm wrong), which could be optimized if glibc could just keep a
> netlink channel fd open and could poll() it for changes and cache the
> results if there are no changes (or something like that).
>
> speedup: i suggested O_ANY 6 years ago as a speedup to Apache -
> non-linear fds are cheaper to allocate/map:
>
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg23820.html
>
> (i definitely remember having written code for that too, but i cannot
> find that in the archives. hm.) In theory we could avoid _all_ fd-bitmap
> overhead as well and use a per-process list/pool of struct file buffers
> plus a maximum-fd field as the 'non-linear fd allocator' (at the price
> of only deallocating them at process exit time).

Only very few apps need to open more than 100.000 files.

As these files are likely sockets, O_ANY is not a solution.

A trick is to try to keep first 64 handles freed, so that kernel wont consume
too much cpu time and cache in get_unused_fd()

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/9/15/307

This trick is portable (not linux centric).