Re: BUG in 2.6.22-rc2-mm1: Parts of Alsa sound architecture broken

On May 29 2007 17:39, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> >Anyway, I'd like to confirm that this really works before merging to
>> >the ALSA tree.  As Mauro suspected, kconfig seems not working as
>> >expected...
>>
>> Unfortunately, there are sometimes non-visible options in menus (the
>> Networking>QoS menu for example) that, when converted to menuconfig-if-endif,
>> also get lost when the menuconfig object is deactivated. In case of QoS, this
>> can break compilation. For most subsystems however, it works alright because
>> the particular subsystem referencing CONFIG_INVISIBLE_THING is deactivated
>> anyway and does not get compiled.
>> Such strange menus (like QoS) have not been menuconfigized so far, it's just
>> too hard to keep the bits together. As far as other subsystems are concerned,
>> please give it some testing.
>
>Hmm... probably, this is what happened with V4L: there are several
>invisible items there for selecting some core items.

Well, what I wanted to describe is that CONFIG_RANDOM_INVISIBLE_THING
can be referenced _outside_ the particular subsys, and then it
breaks right on the spot -- some easier to find thanks to compile
failure, or a link failure, others may remain hidden until runtime.
A misplacement of invisible objects, I'd say, but that is another
story, another day, another patch perhaps.

>In the case of V4L, the problem is that, when the menu item is
>activated, sometimes, kconfig doesn't properly honor module/static link
>heritage.

RFC 1925, item 7 seems to fit ;-)

	Jan