Re: BUG in 2.6.22-rc2-mm1: Parts of Alsa sound architecture broken

At Fri, 25 May 2007 10:28:06 -0700,
Andrew Morton wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2007 18:01:34 +0200 Takashi Iwai <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > At Thu, 24 May 2007 13:09:21 -0700,
> > Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > I assume you're referring to this stuff?

> > > Probably some silly missing dependency.  Please send the .config, thanks.
> >
> > The culprit appears more ealier.  It implies the missing
> > soundcore.ko (or its dependency).
> >
> > > snd: Unknown symbol unregister_sound_special
> > > snd: Unknown symbol register_sound_special_device
> > > snd: Unknown symbol sound_class
> >
> > Uwe, could you try to revert this patch?
> > use-menuconfig-objects-ii-sound.patch
> >

> I think that patch has rotted.  Too many underlying changes and the
> handling of HAS_IOMEM (at least) appears to have been broken (by my
> fixups).
>
> I'll drop it.
>
> If/when Jan resends it, pleeeeeeeeeze consider it promptly and don't leave
> me trying to maintain the thing while you guys are madly changing other
> stuff underneath it?

Yeah, I'll check it again if reposted.  Jan, could you split ALSA
portins at the next time?  This will make testing and merging much
easier for me...

But, above all, I'm not convinced much by that patch, especially
because it introduces new kconfigs just for menuconfig.
For example, CONFIG_SND_PCI_DRIVERS doesn't appear in any Makefiles.

Takashi