Re: [RFC] LZO de/compression support - take 6

On 5/28/07, Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> wrote:
On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 08:36:44PM +0530, Nitin Gupta wrote:
> So, before this change, it will be good if it gets merged in mainline
> and tested, at least for correctness, on all supported achs. All the
> while, we will have a good feeling that there is still a good scope
> for perf improvement :)

The correct order is:
- create one version with all the optimizations you have in mind

Already done. One more optimization is regarding use of memcpy() in
place of COPY4() macros and open byte-by-byte copying. There are some
places where it's very hard to get it correct without adding
additional checks on various values which casues futher overhead by
iteslf - even then I could not get them correct so I decided not to go
with this particular optimization by myself.

- then ensure that it works correctly on all architectures and

Already tested on x86, amd64, ppc (by Bret). I do not have machines
from other archs available. Bret tested 'take 3' version but no
changes were introduced in further revisions that could affect
correctness - but still it will be good to have this version tested
too. Only with inclusion in -mm and testing by much wider user base
can make it to mainline (I suppose nobody uses -mm for production use
anyway).

  document why your version is that much faster than the original
  version and why you know your optimizations have no side effects

Replied in earlier mail regarding this.

- then get it tested in -mm

This is what I am looking for :)

After these steps, you can start considering getting it into mainline.

- Nitin