Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, -v14

Ingo Molnar wrote:
i'm pleased to announce release -v14 of the CFS scheduler patchset.

The CFS patch against v2.6.22-rc2, v2.6.21.1 or v2.6.20.10 can be downloaded from the usual place: http://people.redhat.com/mingo/cfs-scheduler/

In comment before distribute_fair_add(), we have such text:

/*
 * A task gets added back to the runnable tasks and gets
 * a small credit for the CPU time it missed out on while
 * it slept, so fix up all other runnable task's wait_runtime
 * so that the sum stays constant (around 0).
 *
[snip]
 */

But as I observe by cat /proc/sched_debug (2.6.21.1, UP, RHEL4), I found the all waiting fields often are more than zero, or less than zero.

IMHO, the sum of task_struct->wait_runtime just is the denominator of all runnable time in some ways, is it right? if so, increasing the sum of wait_runtime just make scheduling decision more precise. so what's meaning for keeping the wait_runtime is zero-sum?

Good luck

- Li Yu