Re: [stable] Wanted: Allow adding new device IDs during the -stable cycle

David Hollis wrote:
With the asix.c driver, you can't just add the USB IDs and have it work.
Each ID also needs to be told which driver structure to use, since the
driver itself supports three similar, but distinct chips.  Adding the
IDs to the driver itself is naturally trivial, but adding via sysfs or
the like doesn't work.  I would imagine that there are other drivers
that operate quite similarly.

As is evident from the patches that do upstream (a requirement for -stable), it depends on the driver. Some drivers work just fine with a simple ID addition.

Review the thread, we are just talking about the patches where adding an ID is the only work necessary.

	Jeff