Re: Sched - graphic smoothness under load - cfs-v13 sd-0.48

Con Kolivas wrote:
On Wednesday 23 May 2007 10:28, Bill Davidsen wrote:
kernel    2.6.21-cfs-v13    2.6.21-ck2
a)    194464        254669
b)    54159        124
Everyone seems to like ck2, this makes it look as if the video display
would be really pretty unusable. While sd-0.48 does show an occasional
video glitch when watching video under heavy load, it's annoying rather
than unusable.

That's because the whole premise of your benchmark relies on a workload that yield()s itself to the eyeballs on most graphic card combinations when using glxgears. Your test remains a test of sched_yield in the presence of your workloads rather than anything else. If people like ck2 it's because in the real world with real workloads it is better, rather than on a yield() based benchmark. Repeatedly the reports are that 3d apps and games in normal usage under -ck are better than mainline and cfs.
I have to admit that I call in the teen reserves to actually get good feedback on games, but I do watch a fair number of videos and under high load I find sd acceptable and cfs totally smooth. The next time my game expert comes to visit I'll get some subjective feedback. My use of glxgears was mainly intended to use something readily available, and which gave me the ability to make both subjective and objective evaluations.

My -ck2 results certainly show no significant difference from sd-0.48, I suspect that on a machine with less memory the swap reload would be more beneficial.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc