Re: + fix-spellings-of-slab-allocator-section-in-init-kconfig.patch added to -mm tree

Christoph Lameter wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2007, Matt Mackall wrote:

Yes. It can in fact put 512 8-byte objects in a 4k page. More

So can SLUB.

Not without at least a bit per-object of overhead. So you can either
fit 512 objects in 4160 bytes or 504 objects in 4k.

Slub uses a linked list pointer in the page struct which is NULL if all objects are allocated. There is no bit per object overhead.

For the kmalloc case, we do have an 8-byte header, which works out to
be about 1/8th of the slop that mainline kmalloc over SLAB has on

Exactly. That overhead does not exist in SLUB. Thus SLOB is less efficient than SLUB.

What you trade for that is that one page page can only serve one slab.
For small systems, I would not be surprised if that was less space
efficient, even just looking at kmalloc caches in isolation. Or do you
have numbers to support your conclusion?

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.