Re: + fix-spellings-of-slab-allocator-section-in-init-kconfig.patch added to -mm tree

David Miller wrote:
From: Christoph Lameter <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 18:57:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 May 2007, David Miller wrote:

I'm just reading over the code to figure out what to type to you, you
could read the code too it's not very complicated :-)

I have read it numerous times and my conclusion is that it uses the descriptors for that purpose. But Matt claims they are not necessary. So I am just trying to figure out how one can get to that conclusion.

He is saying the metadata is not necessary for allocated objects.
At least that's my take.

Right. You only need to know blob boundaries for free blobs (so you can
allocate from or merge to). For allocated blobs, you know the start
(which is the address of the memory), and the end (which is the start +
the size contained in kmem_cache structure).

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.