Re: Please revert 5adc55da4a7758021bcc374904b0f8b076508a11 (PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE)

[email protected] wrote:
> I have used userspace tools for managing multiple machines that spawn
> tasks in parallel on multiple machines and then buffers them per-machine
> to display the output of the commands in order, no matter which one
> finished first.
>
> for example 'dsh m1,m2 ls /' would always result in
>
> m1 .
> m1 ..
> .
> .
> m2 .
> m2 ..
> .
> .
>
> even if m2 finished before m1
>
> why can't the detection be done in parallel, but the regestration of
> detected devices be done in order?

Userspace would have to tell the kernel which set of devices is
available.  (In your example:  The set consists of m1 and m2; but does
not include m0 nor m3 nor m6391.)

So instead of telling the kernel beforehand what to enqueue for
registration and in which order to enqueue it, we simply let userspace
give persistent alias names to devices after the fact.
--
Stefan Richter