Re: Please revert 5adc55da4a7758021bcc374904b0f8b076508a11 (PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE)

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 03:37:13PM +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> As I wanted to add multithreaded probing for some s390 busses, I
> discovered that the commit above removed the multithreaded probing
> infrastructure again, while just some days before some of my patches
> reworking it had been merged... I thought
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=117591868412593&w=2 meant that we
> should go ahead with per-subsystem multithreaded probing?

My patch (that started the discussion you mentioned and seems to have
been applied unchanged) contained both the wanted PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE
removal and a removal of some of your new infrastructure.

Let's revert it, and I'll then send a new patch containing only the
PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE removal.

> (OK, PCI_MULTITHREAD_PROBE should not depend on BROKEN, but on
> EXPERIMENTAL with the reworked probing infrastructure. This got mixed
> up, I can send a patch that changes it.)

You meant to say:
  depends on EXPERIMENTAL && !ATA && !IDE && !...

Multithreaded probing on the PCI bus currently breaks too much kernel
code.

And we've already seen how many systems it therefore breaks in practice.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed