Re: Back to the future.

We used it (with great success) to replace bad UPSs on single-PSU
database servers under (light) load. No need for scheduled downtime,
etc.

The whole point of hibernation (or suspend to disk, or whatever you
call it) is that the system goes to a zero-power state and then can be
brought back to its original state. Closing in-progress network
connections has nothing to do with pausing a machine any more than
setting IM clients to 'away' would, or locking an X session. That sort
of side-effect needs to be handled outside the core of "put state out
to disk and read it back".

On 5/7/07, Pavel Machek <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi!

> I don't dispute that it sometimes works today.
>
> what I dispute is that makeing it work should be a contraint on a cleaner
> design that happens to cause tcp connections to fail on suspend-to-disk
> (hibernate).
>
> if you are dong suspend-to-disk for such a short period that TCP
> connections are able to recover (typically <15 min for most firewalls, in
> some cases <2 min for connections with keep-alive) is it really
> worth it?

People were using swsusp to move server from one room to another.
                                                                        Pavel