Re: mkfs.ext2 triggerd RAM corruption

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-05-04 16:59:51 +0200, Bernd Schubert <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> To see whats going on, I copied the entire / (so the initrd) into a
>> tmpfs
>> root, chrooted into it, also bind mounted the main / into this chroot
>> and
>> compared several times /bin of chroot/bin and the bind-mounted /bin
>> while
>> the mkfs.ext2 command was running.
>>
>> beo-05:/# diff -r /bin /oldroot/bin/
>> beo-05:/# diff -r /bin /oldroot/bin/
>> beo-05:/# diff -r /bin /oldroot/bin/
>> Binary files /bin/sleep and /oldroot/bin/sleep differ
>> beo-05:/# diff -r /bin /oldroot/bin/
>> Binary files /bin/bsd-csh and /oldroot/bin/bsd-csh differ
>> Binary files /bin/cat and /oldroot/bin/cat differ
>>
>> Also tested different schedulers, at least happens with deadline and
>> anticipatory.
>>
>> The corruption does NOT happen on running the mkfs command on
>> /dev/sda1,
>> but happens with sda2, sda3 and sda3. Also doesn't happen with
>> extended
>> partitions of sda1.
>
> Is sda2 the largest filesystem out of sda2, sda3 (and the logical
> partitions within the extended sda1, if these get mkfs'ed, too)?

I tested it that way:

- test on sda1, no further partitions
- test on sda2, sda1: ~2MB, everything else for sda2
- test on sda3, sda1: ~2MB, sda2: ~2MB, everything else for sda3
test on sda5: sda1: partition that has the extended partition,
everything in
sda5

> I'm not too sure that this is a kernel bug, but probably a bad RAM
> chip. Did you run memtest86 for a while? ...and can you reproduce this
> problem on different machines?

Reproducible on 4 test-systems (2 with identical hardware, but then the
2 + 1 + 1 with entirely different hardware combinations) with ECC memory,
which is monitored by EDAC. Memory, CPU, etc. are already real life stress
tested with several applications, e.g. linpack.
Though I don't entirely agree, my colleagues in this group are always
telling me, that their real life stress test shows more memory
corruptions than memtest. As soon as I have physical access again, I can also
do a memtest86 run (would like to do it over the weekend, but don't know how
to convince stupid rembo how to boot memtest).
Anyway, a memory corruption is more than unlikely on these systems for
several reasons.

Thanks,
Bernd